If surgery is necessary, our surgeons offer progressive surgical techniques, including robotic surgery for prostate cancer using the da Vinci® Xi™ Surgical System. We provide expert diagnosis and treatment for a variety of conditions, including:
- Erectile dysfunction
- Prostate and urinary tract cancers
- Urinary incontinence
- Urinary stones
According to the American Cancer Society, prostate cancer is the most common type of cancer found in American men, other than skin cancer, with one in six men developing the disease within their lifetime. Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in men, behind only lung cancer. Early detection offers the best opportunity for successful treatment, so talk to your doctor about what exams and screenings are appropriate for you.
Rockledge Regional Medical Center’s cancer care team utilizes the latest diagnostic technology to detect cancer at its earliest stages. Doctors often combine more than one therapy to treat prostate cancer, such as:
- Active surveillance. For men who do not undergo surgery, doctors may increase monitoring through more frequent prostate-specific antigen (PSA) tests, digital rectal exams, and biopsies.
- Chemotherapy. Anti-cancer medications can be used when cancer has spread outside the prostate gland.
- Cryosurgery. Also called cryotherapy or cryoablation, this technique is sometimes used to treat localized prostate cancer by freezing diseased tissue.
- Hormone Therapy. Lowering the levels of male hormones, mainly testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT), can make prostate cancers shrink or grow more slowly.
- Radiation Therapy. Doctors may utilize external-beam or internal methods, including brachytherapy.
- Robotic Surgery. Surgeons can remove the prostate using the minimally invasive da Vinci® Xi™ surgical system, which offers less pain and scarring, and a quicker recovery than open surgery or laparoscopic techniques. Many men return to their normal activities within a few days.
- One of our physicians, Mourad Abouelleil, MD is the only certified physician in the area to be recognized as the Center of Excellence for GreenLight™ Laser Therapy. To learn more, click here!